A Brief History of midland park united methodist church
The people of Midland Park Community, located in the then rural northern part of Charleston County, organized a union church in February of 1921. The following individuals were among the founding members: Mrs. F. J. Aichele, Mrs. L.W. Davis, Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Fuller, Mr. and Mrs. W.B. Horne, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Hutson, Miss Edna Hutson, Miss Serena Hutson, Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Moore, Mr. and Mrs. George Pitcher, Mrs. W.T. Reynolds, Ernest Sahlmann, Luda Sahlmann, Mr. and Mrs. Dana Smoak, Mr. and Mrs. Spinks and Mrs. N.D. Styles. Since there was no church building at the time, services were held in the homes of members. Each week, the host family would invite a minister from their denomination to speak during the service.
The congregation voted in June of 1926, to become a member of the lower South Carolina Methodist Conference and was named Midland Park Methodist Episcopal Church – South. The church became a part of the North Charleston Charge which included North Charleston, Cherokee Place and Mount Pleasant. From 1934 to 1939, Midland Park was part of the Charleston Mission, which included Mount Pleasant, Saint Andrews and Cainhoy. With increased growth, Midland Park became a two-point charge with North Charleston from 1939 to 1944. During this time, the congregation added five classrooms to the building. In 1944, Midland Park was on a charge with Summerville Methodist Church and services were held on Sunday evenings.
A board of Christian Education was formed with Howard Ulsh as the first chairman. In the summer of 1947, a war surplus building was purchased and remodeled to become an educational building at a cost of approximately $1200.00. The Aldersgate-Midland Park charge was active from 1947 to 1952. It was during this time, that morning worship services were held each Sunday with evening services being held on the second and fourth Sundays. An organ was purchased, and Midland Park became known as the singing church.
Many needs existed for the church expansion and Midland Park became a station church. On January 20, 1952, a groundbreaking ceremony was held for the purpose of erecting a larger church building on the site. R. B. Stall, Jr. was the chairman of the building committee. The other members of the committee were: A.R. Tool, A.E. May Jr., E.J. Tullis, A. W. Faulkner and Mrs. F.K. Riddle, Sr. The first worship service was held in the new sanctuary on November 2, 1952. The need for expansion continued as the church and the community grew in spirit, mission, and diversity. In 1972 property on the east side of the church became available and was purchased by the church. A Family Center was built, the educational building was remodeled, and the sanctuary was renovated.
In 1967, the Methodist charge merged with United Brethren making us Midland Park United Methodist Church. Midland Park purchased the first parsonage that was located across the street from the church in 1954. The second parsonage was purchased in 1961 in the Aichele Terrace neighborhood. The current parsonage was purchased in 1985 and is now located in Northwood Estates subdivision.
This is only a brief history of Midland Park United Methodist Church. A more detailed history can be found in the “Book of Remembrance”, which is in the church library for all to view and study. All those worshiping in this church have contributed to helping Midland Park be a good steward to the membership and community of Midland Park.
In the words of John Wesley, the founder of methodism, “Give of the best that you can, of all that you can, wherever you can, as long as you can”.
The United Methodist church
The United Methodist Church is a 12.6-million-strong global church that opens hearts, opens minds and open doors through active engagement with our world. John Wesley and the early Methodists placed primary emphasis on Christian living, on putting faith and love into action. This emphasis on what Wesley referred to as “practical divinity” has continued to be a hallmark of United Methodism today. We invite you to learn more about our rich theological heritage.
OUR FAITH JOURNEY!
Faith is the basic orientation and commitment of our whole being—a matter of heart and soul. Christian faith is grounding our lives in the living God as revealed especially in Jesus Christ. It’s both a gift we receive within the Christian community and a choice we make. It’s trusting in God and relying on God as the source and destiny of our lives. Faith is believing in God, giving God our devoted loyalty and allegiance. Faith is following Jesus, answering the call to be his disciples in the world. Faith is hoping for God’s future, leaning into the coming kingdom that God has promised. Faith-as-belief is active; it involves trusting, believing, following, hoping.
What We Believe!
THE BASICS OF OUR FAITH: As United Methodists, we have an obligation to bear a faithful Christian witness to Jesus Christ, the living reality at the center of the Church’s life and witness. To fulfill this obligation, we reflect critically on our biblical and theological inheritance, striving to express faithfully the witness we make in our own time.